Come work with us!
Now hiring for a
Now hiring for a
Explore Student Energy’s current work and theory of changeto see what we do and why.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Communications Assistant/Coordinator will lead content creation for social media, implement Student Energy’s social media strategy, and build media relationships to consistently communicate Student Energy’s mission, stories, and programs.
- Manage Student Energy’s social media platforms, Social Media Calendar, and Social Media Request Form: Plan and schedule up to 1-2 weeks in advance the Social Media Calendar, ensuring there is a wide variety of timely and relevant content, and utilizing various mediums to reach our target audiences.
- Implement external communications strategy: Working with the Communications Manager and the Design and Media Associate to build and implement a communications strategic plan. The Communications Assistant/Coordinator will focus on tracking social media, ensuring consistent language and brand representation, and propose ideas for campaigns to reach target audiences and regions.
- Content Creation: Produce graphic and video content aligned with Student Energy’s external communications strategy. Follow current trends and general discourse on climate change and energy to amplify important youth stories.
- Analytics and impact metrics: Gather and analyze social media data, analytics, and impact metrics.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Manages Student Energy’s social media platforms
- Production of graphic design and video content for social media aligned with Student Energy’s language and branding guidelines.
- Actively researching and preparing compelling and impactful news and feature stories from Student Energy’s youth network and alums.
- Regularly engaging Student Energy’s digital audience to understand communications trends and pivoting social media campaigns as necessary.
- Designing and maintaining templates aligned with Student Energy’s branding and style guide in Canva for social media
- Research, write, design, and schedule Energy 101 content.
- Gather and analyze social media data, analytics, and impact metrics.
- Drafting content for the Quarterly Newsletter, impact reports, blog posts, press releases, and announcements.
- Regularly seeking out new media outlets, journalists, and related organizations and updating Student Energy’s media database in Salesforce.
- Taking charge of collecting, organizing, and compiling the Media Consent and Release form in Google Drive for every story feature produced.
- Keeping track of important news, trends, language, and content related to energy, youth, and environmental issues in Canada and globally.
- Actively seeking out aligned storytelling opportunities and media opportunities to raise the profile of young people taking action on energy.
- Act as liaison between Communications and Partnerships teams, and support with strategic communications for special projects when needed.
- Join calls and meetings to take notes and identify important dates and follow-up action items.
- Other tasks as assigned
- 1 year work experience in a discipline related to public relations, marketing, graphic design, media production, film, and/or journalism, with demonstrated experience in some, or all, of the following areas: social media content creation, media relations, external communications, email outreach, executing communications campaigns, growing digital following, web development and support, proofreading, video editing, copywriting, and marketing.
- Strong preference for candidates with a degree, diploma, or certificate in a discipline related to public relations, marketing, graphic design, media production, film, and/or journalism.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter, able to work independently, problem solve, and reach out to new prospective partners and collaborators.
specialized Skills for the role
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent design software (in particular Premiere Pro, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Experience managing social media channels and websites using content management systems (SkedSocial, HootSuite, Later, etc.)
- Editorial experience (assignment, copy, web content, etc.)
- Strong ability to synthesize complex concepts into simple and compelling stories
- An understanding of web architecture
- Additional language skills, strong preference for Spanish or French language speakers.
- Passionate about energy and sustainable energy systems, and youth empowerment.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a short assignment.