Come work with us!
Now hiring for a
(Finance and AuditCommittee)
(Finance and AuditCommittee)
Explore Student Energy’s current work and theory of changeto see what we do and why.
Student Energy is seeking a licensed Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) with a strong financial and audit background to join our Board of Directors and contribute to the effective governance of the organization.
Experience with the non-profit sector – and knowledge and expertise in global climate and energy issues – is preferred. Directors provide strategic guidance to the Executive Director and staff, protecting the organization, and help establish new partnerships and funding sources. They serve as brand ambassadors and help scale Student Energy’s reach, network and impact.
About Student Energyʼs Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is made up of a group of international Directors who serve as Student Energyʼs legal governance body and are responsible for the adoption of bylaws and policies, oversight of Student Energyʼs Executive Director, providing strategic guidance to support the organization’s current and future goals, the stewardship of long-term financial health of the organization, and the fulfillment of the organizationʼs mission and theory of change. The Board meets 6-8 times per year via video conference, and Directors serve on individual committees to advance the work of the Board. The approximate time commitment is 5-10 hours/month. Terms of appointed Directors are two (2) years in length, with the possibility of extension depending on the needs of the Board. The Board also meets face-to-face once a year, with basic expenses covered by the organization.
The Finance and Audit Committee of Student Energy’s Board of Directors plays a crucial role in ensuring the organization’s financial health, accountability, and transparency. The Board seeks a Treasurer to oversee this committee, who will work with Student Energyʼs staﬀ to implement robust financial controls and processes, manage the annual Audit, ensure compliance and monitor the organization’s financial situation.
1. Financial Oversight: Provide financial expertise and guidance to the organization’s financial matters, including budgeting, financial reporting, and investment strategies.
2. Audit Oversight: Collaborate with the committee and external auditors to oversee the annual audit process, ensuring accuracy and compliance with accounting standards and regulations.
3. Risk Management: Evaluate financial risks and internal control systems, making recommendations to the Board for enhancing controls and mitigating risks.
4. Financial Reporting: Review and approve financial statements and reports, ensuring accuracy, transparency, and alignment with regulatory requirements and best practices.
5. Budgeting and Planning: Contribute to developing annual budgets and financial projections, providing insights to support strategic decision-making.
6. Governance and Compliance: Ensure compliance with relevant legal and regulatory requirements and the organization’s policies and procedures.
7. Committee Participation: Actively participate in Finance and Audit Committee meetings, providing informed insights and engaging in discussions.
8. Stakeholder Engagement: Collaborate with other Board members, staﬀ, and external stakeholders to enhance the organization’s financial sustainability.
- Licensed Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) in good standing.
- Strong financial and audit background, ideally with experience in non-profit organizations, charities, or similar sectors.
- Knowledge of Canadian accounting standards, regulations, and financial reporting requirements, with knowledge of applications to non-profits.
- Familiarity with risk management and internal control practices
- Ability to analyze complex financial information and provide strategic recommendations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated commitment to energy, sustainability, and youth empowerment.
- Board or committee experience is an asset but not mandatory.
- Opportunity to contribute to the growth and impact of a prominent youth-focused non-profit organization.
- Engage with a diverse group of passionate individuals dedicated to advancing sustainable energy practices.
- Gain valuable experience in non-profit governance, financial oversight, and strategic decision-making.
- Network with professionals from the energy, sustainability, and finance sectors.
- Flexibility to participate remotely, contributing to the mission regardless of location.
If you are a dedicated and licensed Chartered Professional Accountant passionate about energy and sustainability, we invite you to apply. Please submit your application here.
Note: Student Energy is dedicated to maintaining a diverse Board composition, and we encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We recognize that for members of groups that are underrepresented in positions of power and leadership (Black, Indigenous, racialized, persons with disabilities, LGBTQI2S+), there can be significant structural barriers that shape experiences and access to opportunities. We consider these structural barriers during the screening process. For inquiries or further information, please contact Jochen at email@example.com.